Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Week's Rest

First, the Lady I rescued and I would like to thank all of our readers for their kinds words and great advice on my last post The Vet. It was last Thursday evening that the Lady and my dad rushed me to the vet when my condition worsened on my right front leg. First, the Lady was very confused how come the injury returned after such a long time, over a month, which caused her to think it could have been something else. Like when she stepped on me (accidentally)! Or when dad heard me fall out of bed. But those all happened after I had started to limp again earlier in the week.

Dad carried me into the vet and kept me in his arms the whole time we waited. It was nice but I was still scared and shaking some. The vet examined me and a nice assistant lady I hadn't met before helped. The vet asked to see me walk and this time he could see how lame I had become, so he was very concerned about my condition. Scary words were mentioned, as a Doxie the scariest of them all, disc disease, or a neck injury. The tests he did for those came back negative but it is still something to consider. The Lady then told him about how much I pulled when I walked, so much so that I wear a pinch collar. I can't wear a halter because I am impossible to walk wearing one. The vet suggested the Gentle Leader which mom had seen before and is not a fan of at all!

Walk, please?
The treatment the vet gave us was Tramadol for the pain, and Predisone. I have had trouble taking the steroid before so mom knows to give me Pepcid first. The vet said it was a low dose so shouldn't be an issue. Then the worst news of all, complete rest for a whole week! No walks, no running, jumping, nothing! And I have to be carried up and down the stairs to go potty because we live on the second floor! The worst part will be when the meds start to mask the pain. Then I will want to get active but not be healed. Well that is where we are at now. After four days of meds I am walking almost normal and seem to feel great! But I am bored! This morning I kept giving the Lady the "look" hoping for the "walk" word. No luck. I keep squeeking my favorite ball, no luck. I roll it under the furniture and whine for them to get it, which they do, but then they won't chase me, or throw it! What is wrong with me? With them? I don't understand and I am so unhappy right now.

I'm bored and unhappy!
The Lady is just giving me the steroid medication now. She decided to stop the Tramadol since I don't seem to be in any pain. My week of "rest" ends on Friday. Once the meds end and I start to get active again we are going to have to watch closely for any signs of limping. IF my limping comes back, mom wants to first go back to the vet for more xrays. One of our readers suggestions was to have several different views taken. The vet did take two but we want to make sure that all possible views were done. As the doctor suggested a cat scan if I don't improve we want to make sure that its necessary first.

When the doctor mentioned a possible neck injury the Lady got a major case of the guilts. This is because she knows how bad I pull on the leash, when not wearing my pinch collar. At BlogPaws she didn't want me to wear the pinch collar, so I did a lot of pulling and straining there. She is very concerned she hurt me. Despite her misgivings about the Gentle Leader she did buy one for me. As soon as I am allowed to go on walks we are going to start training with that. We shall see, hmm?

Love, Dolly the Doxie (mix)
xoxox





16 comments:

  1. The gentle leaders are actually really good and are in fact gentle - the only downside we found was people tend to think it is a muzzle and your dog must be vicious for wearing one...so they tend to be wary of dogs wearing them. I use to use one on Reilly all the same because I don't like things around his neck...but he loves people and saying hello and was not happy when people would pass him by when he was wearing it.

    Be careful - the pain meds and such can mask the pain and it is easy for them to overdo things when they get back to a normal routine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen doggies where the gentle leaders, will be hard to believe people thinks I'm vicious! I am being very careful thanks! Love Dolly

      Delete
  2. Oh Dolly, we hope you are feeling better. And that the humans mention going for walks again soon. Sending healing vibes your way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Finn I am feeling your vibes! Love Dolly

      Delete
  3. Gentle leaders are great. Some things that can help with back and neck issues:

    Staying lean is the MOST IMPORTANT THING! Any extra weight is horrid for backs
    Short nails
    Walking on a harness, not a collar (second most important thing you can do)
    No stairs
    Ramps for getting up to furniture
    No jumping off high places

    Nola

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nola, we appreciate how much the Lady has learned from you about Doxies. I'll work on my Doxiness! Love Dolly

      Delete
  4. Dolly....just be a patient patient ( :) ) and do what the dogter says. And listen to Mommy when she says NO PULLING. Hope you're all good as new soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMD Dolly so sorry to hear you are not right of paw again. We say take it easy this week. Sending POTP to you. Our paws are crossed some rest will sort it out. Have a wonderful Wednesday.
    Best wishes Molly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Molly I really appreciate the POTP. Love Dolly

      Delete
  6. Oh dear heavens I had no idea dis happened! I is so sorry! Tells your Lady not feels guilty, things just happen sometimes.
    We has experince in ruptured discs as my brudder was paralyzed when he was 4. Our blogger furiend Amber had one in her neck so you may wanna talk to her fur some advice.
    II hope you heals all nice and quickly...and be careful on da meds.
    I is sendin' you lots of love and thoughts.

    Puddles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the love I am sure its nothing that serious! Love Dolly

      Delete
  7. Dolly we sure hope you are feeling better soon!
    Barks and licks and love,
    Dakota and Mom
    www.dakotasden.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Dolly!

    I hope you feel better soon, and you are able to get out of your boredom.

    Over the winter, I developed a mysterious limp. Mamma thought it was partly due to my age because I am 12. She also thought it had to do with the extra cold and snowy winter.

    The vet opted to put me on Dasuquin, which is a dog-set approved glucosomine chondroitin supplement, and it has helped a lot. We did not have xrays done. I did have a pain med, Deramaxx, if necessary, but the Dasuquin has been very helpful.

    Good luck!
    Abby
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete