Friday, April 26, 2013

A Shopping "Park"

Maybe I haven't made it clear to all of my followers, but I am a city dog. The lady I rescued and me live in Chicago, one of the largest cities in the U.S. We live on the northwest side of the city though, you almost forget that you do live in the city because it is more suburban where we are at, brick bungalows, yards, street parking, and lots of parks. Oh, parks! Its Park Day!

So where does that lady take me? Downtown! Not only downtown but to Michigan Avenue! You heard her, the Magnificent Mile! Some of the best shopping in the country next to New York's Fifth Avenue! Mom found out from one of her favorite blogs, Sugar, the Golden Retriever, that there is dog friendly shopping in the city at The Shops at North Bridge.  Well, that did it, we were going, but when? She rarely gets to Michigan Avenue, except at Christmas. So when Finn of Finn & Charley Too and Gizmo the Terrier Torrent came up with Park Day we had to do something different, we go to a park all of the time! That did it, she said, we are going to The Shops at North Bridge and go shopping! How many dogs get to do that? I am sure they'll be in parks with great views and scenery but we think the scenery on Michigan Avenue is some of the best. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder right?

You won't find me in this shot!
Yesterday afternoon I got really excited when mom took me for a ride in the car. After we parked we started to go for a walk, I was having such a good time! A new adventure, new smells, where were we going? We stopped for a minute at a very scary spot, mom started to take pictures, then she thought she was going to take pictures of me and I freaked, don't look down! It was a bridge over a river and the bridge moves because it's a drawbridge so the tall sail boats could get down the river to the lake.


We kept walking, I started to get nervous, so much traffic, and people and noise! Wait, where are we going? I did my sit down move, the El train rumbled over our heads, mom had treats! We started walking some more.

We walked into a big building and got in an elevator after mom came to the conclusion that I would not go up an escalator. But mom went in the wrong entrance so we went outside again and walked to another entrance this time there were steps. We had arrived at our destination, we were going shopping!  The Shops at North Bridge, located at 520 N. Michigan Avenue, is a pet friendly place!

We've arrived!
  

Lots of people noticed me, we didn't see any other dogs and everyone said I was cute! They thought I was a dachshund! The first thing we did was find a nice comfortable place to sit down, we were exhausted! By now I won't say I was frantic but I needed to chill out some. It was nice and quiet under mom in the chair. After a nice rest we decided to walk around some. Only the first two floors are dog friendly and since I wouldn't take an escalator we didn't stay long. We were back outside and were now on the famous Magnificent Mile! 

The tulips haven't bloomed yet!
By now I had relaxed some especially because it seemed like we were headed back to where we started. I must say it was good to see our car and hop in and head home! Overall it had been a very exciting adventure. I might not be the city dog mom thinks I am but if we did this more I would probably get used to it. I don't recommend trying something like this for the first time on a hectic weekday. It might be better to do it at less busy time.

A public riverwalk to check out if the weather ever improves!

Mom used her iPhone app WalkMyDog to map our walk and track all sorts of boring statistics. You can check it out here. She would hit pause whenever we stopped so the time is when we were actually moving.

We would like to thank Finn of Finn & Charley Too and Gizmo the Terrier Torrent for motivating us to do this. Park Day is a great idea to get people out with their dogs and go for a good hike. It doesn't have to be a park because us dogs just want to go for a walk!

Love, Dolly
xoxox




17 comments:

  1. Woof! Woof! PAWsome walking in the city. Mom took me there again last week. Dad shops in that mall and I usually come. Next time we should do a city playdate. Happy Park Day Shopping Friday. Lots of Golden Woofs, Sugar

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A city playdate? That would be great! Love Dolly

      Delete
  2. We would probably be nervous too with all the peoples and the noises. Nice though to go somewhere different and sniff out those smells. Have a Happy Park Day Dolly and have a fabulous Friday too.
    Best wishes Molly

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for coming to Park Day Dolly! I haven't been to Chicago but my Momz has a brofur there so she's gone...She even went to a geocaching event at the Garmin store on Michigan Avenue and went geocaching there afterwards...Maybe she'll bring me with her one day and we can meet...I think it might be fun to visit a big shopping center like that... I rode the escalator in Orlando when we went to Global Pet Expo...It was scary and Momz picked me up the next time cause she was worried I'd get caught...but walking around those stores would be kewl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well you've got me beat as far as the escalator! If dad would've been there to help I probably would have done it. That is cool you have an uncle that lives here! I just wish I knew what geocaching is I haven't been able to figure it out yet! Love Dolly

      Delete
  4. How cool to go shopping on Michigan Avenue!?! I don't think I would like to go on an escalator either but an elevator would be a treat! BOL
    *Cairn cuddles*
    Oz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been on an elevator lots of times! Love Dolly

      Delete
  5. Howdy Dolly, wowza what a fabo park day. We can't imagine what it would be like to go shopping with our mum. We think you were very brave with all the noise, cars and then to go inside the shops! Phew what an adventure! Thanks for taking us along. See ya soon. No worries, and love, Stella and Rory

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks guys it was definitely an adventure! Love Dolly

      Delete
  6. Oh WOW!!! What a great Park Day entry! I love it, so unique. You were so brave...I would have been so nervous in the big city with the trains and the people and the traffic. But you did such a good job! Did you get to go into any high end pet stores and do some shopping???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pet stores? Mom didn't say nothing about any pet stores! There is a great store called Tails in the City that isn't too far maybe I'll get her to take me there next! Love Dolly

      Delete
  7. You are sooooooo lucky to live in Chicago! That is one of Mom's most favorite cities! Do you follow the blog "Marking Our Territory?" If not, you should! They have a FABULOUS dog blog and they live in CHICAGO!!!
    Barks and licks and love, Dakota

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks guys mom will have to check it out! Love Dolly

      Delete
  8. Mommy said that your Park Day was the best! If it includes SHOPPING then count us in :)

    We're happy to hear that you did so well in that new place.

    Hugs,
    Lily Belle & Muffin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our moms have lots in common, thanks! Love Dolly

      Delete
  9. Awesome, Dolly! My peoples love Chicago; they went there for visit before I rescued them. They stayed near Wrigley Field and loved the neighborhood; maybe one day they will take me! Glad you enjoyed your walkie.

    love,
    Reuben

    ReplyDelete